Sunday, September 19, 2010

Not in Everland

It's a shame I don't like amusement parks. It's an even bigger shame it was raining today, because Everland (an amusement park) is where my destination happened to be.

I was supposed to meet Emma today at Bundang Station, so I googled the directions and wrote down the bus stops and numbers.  Today was going to be a better day than yesterday (story will be later). I boarded the first bus (10-5) with no problem and got off on the stop that googled had instructed.  After thirty minutes, and countless buses later, my bus number never showed up.  Maybe I got off on the wrong stop...so, I got back on the 10-5 bus to ride to the next stop and wait. No 5500-1 to be seen.  I decided to hop on bus 66 which had "Suwon Station" clearly written in English - to my relief.  I was going to go there to ride the subway to Bundang. It should be easier.  This bus 66 did NOT go to Suwon Station.  Instead, I traveled all the way (over an hour) to Everland - the other side of the province from Suwon Station!  Well, I might as well walk around Everland and take a few photos, seeing as my 2 o'clock appointment with Emma was in the past.  I walked up to the ticket booths - all of them were closed. So, no Everland for me. It is raining. My shoes are soaked. The ticket office is closed. I'm over an hour away from any place that I know.  I go back to the buses and hop on 66-4.  It goes to the same place as 66, but has more stops.  I'm angry and frustrated. Plus, I feel like a total sketch ball and hope that Emma won't be too mad (I emailed her to explain). I see a McDonald's on the way home and decide that I would like some comfort food after a dismal trip.  I order a regular "burger" thinking that it would hit the spot.  This burger is no McDonald's hamburger. There is cabbage, some mayonnaise-looking paste, and a barbeque/teriyaki glazed patty. I took one bite and disgustedly threw the rest away. Another disappointment.  Walking out of McDonald's a clearly American song is playing very loudly.  I feel defeated and homesick. Standing in the cold rain, I cannot hold back the tears pushing the brink of my eyes.  Only a few drops, I don't want to draw any MORE attention to myself other than the normal stares I get from everyone - young, old, man, woman.  I finally make it home and stop by Dunkin' Donuts.  McDonald's was a failure, but DD pulled through for me. One iced Cafe Americano and a bavarian filled donut later, my spirits were up. As soon as I walked through my door and took my shoes off, the doorbell rings and Trisha stops by.  She cooked a meal for her family and dropped some off for me! Perfect timing or what?! Her kindness blows me away. I am so thankful - it will be hard to leave her whenever the time comes (a year from now or shorter).

Yesterday I met Steven after a long and arduous day.  We were supposed to meet around 2.30 for coffee and then go to some microbreweries in Seoul. I go to E-Mart to meet (our pre-designated spot).  For 4 hours I sit waiting, watching bus after bus come and go. I decide enough is enough and go home after stopping for some delicious mandu (steamed dumplings).  I get on skype (our means of communication) and he is online.  We decide to attempt to meet again, this time at a GS gas station (about a 30 minute walk from my place). So I go there (around 7.30).  Yet again, I wait until 9 and he is no where to be found.  I go home and get online. He's online. He says he was there and didn't see me - this is ridiculous.  We give it one more whirl and finally, (third time's a charm) we meet. I thought this was a good idea, until I realized, I cannot stand this guy.  He is a pompous asshole (sorry, Mom). I will not be hanging out with him again, and I blocked him on Skype, so we won't be in contat. On a good note though, I met some cool girls in the Air Force, so we plan to hang out sometime. :)

Tomorrow, I am supposed to meet Rod, a German-South African.  He has been living here for 2 years.  He gave me his cell phone and told me to call him via pay phone if I have any troubles. Hopefully tomorrow will work out in regards to transportation and also personality. Certainly I can't meet 2 pompous assholes in a matter of 3 days, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment