Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Blessed

Today, the students were a bit more rambunctious than the first day I taught them.  I think now they are accustomed to the idea of having an American as their teacher, so they think they can act out.  I will be having none of that. I am truly blessed because of the people I have met so far.  They are genuinely concerned for my well being.  Chong-wha tries to ensure that I am comfortable at all times.  Trisha and I met today at 10 for coffee and a chat.  Then we went to this Korean BBQ place which was delicious (and gorgeous). Trisha informed me that our director complains a lot about money and such, but I guess I'm in the clear because I don't understand Korean, and nobody took the time to tell me about her complaining until it just happened in conversation.  I found out that Trisha has only been at the hagwon a week longer than me, so she is just as new to the situation. The only downfall is that she is part-time.  She will be giving me Korean lessons twice a week. I don't know if I should pay her for it?  I have not spent money on food much yet.  Anytime we go out, Trisha or Chong-wha offers to pay (I'm not complaining, but I feel bad).  Trisha is concerned about my safety and communication.  She always asks if I had breakfast/lunch, etc.  She told me that I need to open a bank account as soon as possible because she is not comfortable with me carrying around cash.  Also, she has offered to take me anywhere I need to go, even offered for me to come to her condo.  She is my Anyi (sister). Apparently, that is an honor.  So, because she wants me to get a bank account ASAP, Chong-wha and I are going to the hospital tomorrow morning to get a physical and then to the immigration office to get my alien registration card.  I found out that I have a multiple entry visa, so I can travel abroad while I'm here! Trisha wants me to get a cell phone immediately so I can call her if I ever need anything or there is an emergency.  I don't think I can ever repay her for her kindness.

There is a noodle place right across the street from my apartment and it just so happens that Trisha is friends with the owner.  So, if I have any troubles, I go to the owner and tell her to call Trisha.  The owner said that even though she doesn't speak English, she can listen and she will do whatever she can for me (through Trisha).  I think that is so sweet! I have been so fortunate to meet such nice, amazing people.  This is definitely turning my opinion of Korea around.

I have communication with Emma (a girl I met in Atlanta while I was "interviewing" for my visa).  She wants to meet up next week (during Chuseok) and go exploring, so that is exciting.    I guess I was too soon to judge Korea.  Maybe it will turn out alright.

2 comments:

  1. anna!!!! i'm so glad to hear everything is turning out for the better... i can only imagine the overwhelming feelings you had your first night alone but it seems to be looking up for you! (i didn't doubt you for a second) i knew you'd make friends immediately and i'm so happy that you've found people so welcoming and helpful, it sounds like they are making your transition as easy as possible. seems like you're settling in quite nicely so keep us posted! we miss you tons but are so happy for you! 하루 잡아라 (seize the day!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karrie! Thank you so much for your encouraging words! I miss you, too. I hope all is well back home! Love ya!

    ReplyDelete