Saturday, December 4, 2010

Southern Hospitality

Korean style.

As annoyed as I was at the beginning of today, the end turned out amazing (somewhat). Friday, Amanda and I had planned to spend the entire day exploring Itaewon (she needed some more clothes) and doing various activities ending in some hookah. I woke up early, got ready, and called her phone - no answer. I wait a while to try again - still no answer. Eventually, 6 hours later, we meet up in Nonyheon. We ended up not going to Itaewon.  Instead, we stayed around Nonyheon, ate at a sausage and beer place where Bob Marley was playing, and then went to Gangnam for some hookah.  At the hookah bar, more Bob Marley was playing...though it was live music by a Korean hippie :)

Anyways, we left relatively early, but not in time for me to catch the bus back home, so I had to take the subway and transfer.  At the transfer point, the last train to my nearest town had already departed, so I had to take a taxi.  I happened to be able to split a taxi with a really cute Korean boy (too bad he had a girlfriend who studied middle school, high school, and university in Canada).  Anyways, he saved me from being ripped off by a "taxi driver" who was going to charge me double to get home.  So, we rode together in a real taxi and he ended up paying most of the cost instead of splitting it 50/50.  He called his girlfriend and we all talked through her - she was so kind (as was he). I didn't get either of their names, but they wished me good memories for Korea. So, despite having to pay extra money by getting a taxi home, it turned out to be an okay experience - yet another example of how kind Koreans are. Plus, he kept apologizing for not being able to speak English.  His girlfriend told me that she tries to get him to study English, but he never does - so she used this opportunity to rub it in his face, haha.

Here are some photos of the hookah bar.






And here's a photo from Thanksgiving dinner (consumed on the Sunday after Thanksgiving).
[psst...Mom...it's one of the new coats - thanks!]

No comments:

Post a Comment