Sunday, November 21, 2010

Awkward Situations, Awesome Students

So, I realize I have been seriously lagging on my blogs. I need to step it up, but it's often times I find better things to do with my time (such as sleep). I kid, but I hope to make a conscious effort to be more consistent with my blogs. So much has happened since I last wrote.

I met a guy from Egypt in Seoul.  We had lunch at an Indian restaurant in Itaewon and then walked to the Korean War Memorial Museum which was extremely interesting. The down side - this guy kept talking about relationships/love and asking me if I had a boyfriend, etc. To which I promptly responded "No, and I like being single and don't want a boyfriend." Then I had to tell him I didn't want kids, I enjoy being by myself and I think that boyfriends are just a hassle at this point in my life. So, I thought I was not giving out any mixed signals.  However, the entire time we were walking, he wanted me to put my hand in the crease of his bent arm (like old school courting couples would walk...or how you walk down the aisle). I was extremely uncomfortable with this for a number of reasons, one being that I just met this guy, and two, I don't like being touched.  After he grabbed and guided my hand to where it should be on his arm, I took out some tissues, wiped my nose, and kept my hands in my pockets. I cut our outting short saying I had to meet my Korean sis for dinner and it takes 2 hours to get home. I don't mind stretching the truth to get out of uncomfortable and awkward situations.  Obviously this guy thought I was into him because he proceeded to text message me EVERYDAY saying "Good morning, how are you?" I guess that is friendly, but I found it too much. Then on Thursday he says "I know its over to text you every day, I don't know why I do it, but I do. Good morning." I didn't respond. Friday at 6 am I receive a message telling me to call him. I don't do it. Friday morning at 7 I get a message that says "Good morning honey, how are you?" I don't respond and I snarl in disgust at him calling me honey. Friday afternoon at 3 I receive yet another message saying "Do you mind meeting me this weekend? I need to talk to you. I miss your eyes." Okay, completely officially creepy. I respond with an I'm busy text and immediately get a "nevermind, have a good weekend." What's a girl to do? This is where my completely awesome students come in. I decide to tell them the story and boy were they supportive of me! They immediately groaned in disgust at the "honey" name and missing my eyes. They adamently told me to respond "I don't like you. Stop contacting me." They said, "Teacher, don't talk to him! Stay away. He's from Egypt?!" So, the racism in Korea was definitely portrayed, but their advice - invaluable. These kids are genius and blunt. I love how they tell it like it is. Then, one middle school class showed me how to make the guy's phone number a spam number so I will never again receive a text message or phone call from him. AWESOME!





No comments:

Post a Comment