Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Presidents and Dinosaurs

I've been brainstorming for days on what to incorporate and how to conduct my conversation class.  I decided to try something that involves creativity and speaking - "What would you do if..." I created all these little scenarios, cut them up, and put them in a cup. Max and Sarah then took turns drawing out the slips and responding to the prompts.  Sarah didn't really come up with anything too funny, just playing computer games (I learned that Korean children LOVE their computer games). But Max came up with some pretty good answers.

"What would you do if you saw a dinosaur?" His response - If it were a little dinosaur, I would kill it and have dinosaur meat. Then I would use the teeth like a knife. And if another dinosaur appeared, I would kill it with dinosaur teeth.  ... I don't know, I just found that funny coming from a little Korean kid  with glasses and long hair and wearing skinny jeans. Too cute.

"What would you do if you were the President?" Sarah's response - I would make Korea rich. 'Richer than America?' That's impossible, she says. (Oh, what little of world politics/economics these youngsters know).
- Max's response - I would make a dictatorship and then I would have lots of money and if someone didn't like me, I would give them money to lie to me and like me. Then I would make North Korea and South Korea one. 'But North Korea already has a dictator. What would you do?' I would put poison in his dessert and give it to him. Then he would die.

Today was the best day of classes I've had.  I enjoyed them, but I did not enjoy a curve ball being thrown in my loop.  My first middle school class was supposed to meet today, and I had made many worksheets, quizzes, vocabulary lists, and had my plans well thought out. Buuuut, apparently they have mid-term exams in school and therefore chose to study for that instead of have class, and Chong-hwa allowed it. So, I didn't have that class and now my two middle school classes are not on the same schedule as far as my lesson plans go. Not what I was going for. I did learn, however, that I am quite animated in teaching - I remind myself of Mrs. Keel. Which is great, because she is one of my most influential teachers. (List: Mrs. Johnson, Mrs. Stewart [now Mrs. Hinson], Mrs. Keel, and Ms. Nicodemus) If I can take after those wonderful women, I'll be on the right track.

Aside from teaching - I got my results back from the hospital's physical - all is well. We (Trisha and I) stopped by the Immigration Office and applied for my Alien Registration Card which I pick up October 12. I hate waiting so long.

1 comment:

  1. HI ANNA,
    I AM VERY IMPRESSED WITH YOUR FORE THOUGHT AND INSIGHT FOR YOUR LESSON PLAN'S...YOU WILL BE JUST FINE...LOVE YA, BRENDA

    ReplyDelete