Monday, November 1, 2010

Just a Quck Reflection...

Many times Koreans that I have talked to have said, "I'm so sorry. I lost many English words. I can't talk well."

I actually started to feel really guilty.  Here I am - coming to THEIR country, yet expecting them to speak English to me.  I have come to their land for an opportunity, yet don't speak any Korean.  Perhaps I have been too critical of the immigrants coming to the United States - expecting them to know and learn English.  Maybe we as Americans should try to compromise a little more.  Nearly every developed and developing country in the world is multi-lingual, yet many, if not most, native born American citizens speak only one language - English.  I think I have a new goal. Of course I will be learning Korean while I am here (although I do not know the extent of my understanding and vocabulary will be), but I will strive to be fluent in at least one other language.  It can only be a benefit - especially in this globalized society where, however unfortunate it is, America's lead is waning.

On another note: this past weekend I went to a village a bit north of Icheon to a celadon pottery place.  Celadon (cheong-ja in Korean) is an ancient form of pottery.  This region (north of Icheon) is rich with clay, which the artisans dig themselves.

Here's a little history: http://www.korean-arts.com/about_korean_celadon.htm#The%20History%20of%20Korean%20Celadon



My bowl (apparently for tea)


The female teachers!

No comments:

Post a Comment